I decided I’d make a page listing the web sites and on-line stores that I use for research and for purchasing model railroad material and supplies.
First off though: If you can buy what you need at a local hobby store, you should do that even if it costs a little more. Support your local hobby store or they won’t be around later.
Model Building Kits
- Wild West Scale Models – Mainly old-timey Western style building kits, they also have some modeling supplies.
- ITLA Scale Models – lots of kits and detail parts.
- Railroad Kits – has structure kits and the Fine Scale Miniatures pewter castings.
- American Model Builders Laser Kits – some very nice laser kits of buildings and rolling stock.
- Showcase Miniatures – kits for buildings, vehicles and rolling stock. Some nice detail parts also.
- Motrak Models – kits for buildings, freight car loads and rolling stock.
- Paw of a Bear Model Structure Kits – Laser cut building kits.
- Evergreen Hill Designs – Laser cut kits.
- Blair Line – Laser cut kits and details.
- JL Innovative Design – Laser kits, also owners of the Durango Press line of kits.
- Inter-Action Hobbies – Kits and detail parts.
- Scale Structures Limited and Alloy Forms – Kits and cast metal details.
- Rail Scale Models – Kits and detail parts.
- Mine Mount Models – Laser kits.
- Owl Mountain Models – Freight car kits, loads and details.
- Dr. Ben’s Scale Consortium – Kits and detail parts.
- Resin Car Works – resin freight car kits, trucks, details and decals.
- Diamond Scale Products – kits for engine terminal buildings.
- Maple Leaf Trains – building kits and detail parts.
- JV Models – craftsman building kits.
- Berkshire Valley Models – laser building kits and mine details.
- Bollinger Edgerly Scale Trains – building kits and lots of detail parts.
- Rusty Stumps – lots of detail parts including some nice HVAC ducting.
- Alexander Scale Models – lots of detail parts for rolling stock and buildings.
- Cal Scale – Cast brass detail parts.
- National Scale Car – detail kits for superdetailing fright cars.
- Yarmouth Model Works – detail parts for freight cars.
- Plano Model Products – photo etched details for freight cars and vehicles.
- Wiseman Model Services – detail parts and vehicles.
General Building Materials
- Northeastern Scale Lumber Co. – Scale lumber, siding, etc.
- Fast Tracks – Jigs and parts to build trackwork and turnouts.
- Precision Design Co – custom decals and accessories.
- Archer Transfers – decals to add rivets and other details.
- Black Cat Decals – decals and some etched metal details.
DCC Info and Sales
- DCC++ – Open source DCC command station.
- Allan Gartner’s Wiring for DCC – Tons of DCC wiring info.
- Litchfield Station – DCC sales and installation.
General Hobby Stores
- Arrow Hobby – kits and detail parts, grab irons, etc.
- Yankee Dabbler – Hobby shop with a good selection of DCC parts for sale.
- Bob the Train Guy – great prices on just about anything you can think of.
- Hobbylinc – full hobby store with good prices and lots of model railroad stuff.
- Oxford Die Cast – lots of scale vehicles
Misc Useful Sites
- Time and Seasons – downloadable signs to print for your layout.